Date(s) - 04/25/2017
6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
IEEE Technical Presentation Date: April 25, 2017
Location: Beacon Tower, Independence, OH
The Company: ARDA Power Technology: Microgrid
Introduction: ARDA Power offers a battery-based, DC-connected microgrid platform that is simple, low cost, efficient, resilient and versatile. Founded in 2009 to commercialize a microgrid technology originated at the University of Toronto, the company began developing a range of power electronics components for distributed generation and DC-based microgrids including the ARDA Source DC-DC Converter, Bidirectional DC-AC Inverter and battery storage management for different global clients. In late 2015, ARDA Power was awarded a grant by Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) to install a first-of-its-kind DC microgrid project in Burlington, Ontario using the ARDA DC microgrid Platform.
ARDA Power will be changing the way the world implements microgrid systems for non-residential buildings. For the first time ever, the industries can simply and quickly configure a microgrid system using common controls and modular components. ARDA Power’s business model is focused on the ability for continuous innovation while rapidly scaling up production and satisfying customers’ needs.
6:15: Brief review of general microgrid technology
6:30- 8:30: Main presentation
Presentation: The benefits of ARDA Power technology in contrast to other microgrid options as follows:
- Basic technology platform of ARDA DC microgrid and its benefits are outlined as:
- Simple: Plug-and-play design allows for easy scalability using modular components with limited redesign or reprogramming required when adding or removing sources and loads.
- High Efficiency and Low Cost: The DC Platform design reduces capital cost and increases efficiency by eliminating redundant DC-AC conversions and utilizing plug-and-play components to reduce engineering requirements.
- Resilient: Single mode of operation in grid-tied and off-grid operation increases resiliency to AC grid faults and failures.
- Modular: Modular design limits points of failure. Decoupling from AC grid eliminates reactive power flow and the need to synchronizing to frequency and phase angle.
- Versatile and Scalable: Supports DC and AC sources and loads in almost unlimited configurations and is compatible with multiple battery technologies.
- An insight into the Burlington DC microgrid project.
- Application of ARDA Power’s DC microgrid Platform in real world environment of a DC-linked low cost and resilient grid connected microgrid installed in Head Office and North American manufacturing facility of industrial company Etratech.
- ARDA Power’s technology and business model should appeal to key players in industry and stakeholders such as:
- OWNERS: Fewer design challenges, lower costs, and increased resiliency.
- INTEGRATORS: Streamlines the process of delivering a microgrid to client sites.
- ENERGY STORAGE COMPANIES: Enables participation in the rapidly growing market for microgrids.
- UTILITIES: Eliminates the complexity of integrating microgrids into the utility grid.
The Speaker: Mr. Aleksey Toporkov is ARDA Power’s first investor and has been actively involved in the company since 2013. Prior to joining ARDA, Aleksey was co-owner and CEO of Schindler Elevators and Escalators’ JV in Russia. Switzerland-based Schindler is one of the largest elevators and escalators companies in the world. Aleksey later joined Schindler USA where he managed their Cost Leadership and Industrialization Programs.